How to Secure your Wi-Fi router?
Ways to secure Wi-Fi router username and password
Default gateway IP address differs with brands. Default IP address list
Router Settings - Ways to get started with routers
When a new Wi-Fi or router device is connected to your house. It’s easier to connect 2 or more device and enjoying the internet. But it’s too risk, when you don’t put security for your device. For example, you buying a new brander car and leaving it front of house ideally, with the key inside your car. It’s easier for thief to steal it. For that you have secure your car by providing or following some safety measures.
Like this you have to secure your Wi-Fi device, by providing password or changing the configuration. In this webpage, we going to teach you about 6 methods to secure your Wi-Fi device.
- Change the Default Login
- Change and Hide your SSID
- Encrypt to Secure, Wi-Fi Traffic
- Set up a Guest Network
- Set up the Firewall
- Know the other Wi-Fi Networks
These are 6 things that can be done to make sure that your Wi-Fi network is safe, secure, and still works well enough for those late night Pubg sessions. Let’s go over how to secure your Wi-Fi so you can use the Internet with a little more peace of mind.
Method 1: Change the Default Login
- Connect router with Ethernet cable. By Default IP address is in 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1
- Login with Default User name and Password.
- It is differ from one router to another for changing the Default User name and Password.
- After changing the user name and Password, make a notes of it and save it safely. Don’t share it with kids or unknown persons.
Method 2: Change and Hide your SSID
SSID. (Service Set Identifier) The name assigned to a Wi-Fi (wireless) network. All devices in the network must use this case-sensitive name to communicate over Wi-Fi, which is a text string up to 32 bytes long.
- Login your router with new User name and Password you set.
- In basic setup page, Select Enable wife check box.
- Set your own SSID name (wireless network name).
- Uncheck the check box (Broadcast network name).
- Save the settings.
Make sure that every password is different from other, to make it more complicated to hack. A good password must contains variables, numeric numbers and special characters. Ex. Kavin”123£
Don’t use your name or very personal persons of you and DOB.
Method 3: Encrypt to Secure, Wi-Fi Traffic
Most modern routers automatically turn on encryption by default. But we have make sure that encryption is going or not. Do check that follow the steps below.
- Log into your router.
- Set Security Mode or Encryption Level to “WPA2” - the most recommended setting is WPA2-PSK.
- Save the settings.
Encryption is used to secure your banking, browsing and voting details. Unauthorised persons can’t see your personal details throw network.
Method 4: Set up a Guest Network
A guest Wi-Fi network is essentially a separate access point on your router. All of your home devices are connected to one point and joined as a network, and the guest network is a different point that provides access to the Internet, but not to your home network. Guest Wi-Fi network has its own User name and password. Using guest Network login, user get limited access and network.
- Turn on guest network, only when it need. Else turn it off.
- Every time change the password for better security.
Method 5: Set up the Firewall
A firewall is a network security device that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic and permits or blocks data packets based on a set of security rules.
- Don’t allow every device to connect to your network. In check box of Any, Select Deny.
- To connect to your network, set request for devices to connect to your network from outside devices.
- Select the Enable checkbox. To product your network from unauthorized access.
- Select the DoS attack Protection checkbox.
- Select the block pings checkbox.
Method 6: Know the other Wi-Fi Networks
It is necessary to check that number of devices connected to your network. Because hacker may plugin small Wi-Fi routers to Ethernet network, so they can easily access your network outside building. Download NetSpot - the free version can show the different networks it detects. If there are networks that are coming on strong or aren’t ones you know about, it can help you find them and shut down.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
Every router brand will definitely have a default IP address. You need to get that IP address and paste it in the browser address bar to open the router settings page.
To access the settings page of the router we need to have the admin credentials for it. You can find it at the back of the router.
First of all you have to login to the router settings page. If you have the admin credentials login to the router settings pagae and change the Wi-Fi crdentials.
You can get your Wi-Fi password in the router settings page. There will be a button to unhide the previous password given. Click on the unhide button to reveal the password.
Like the above answer you need to login to the router settings page to change your username and password.
Your Wi-Fi password can be found at the router settings page. You can view it by opening the settings page using the admin credentials.
Still facing issues or problems in router settings? Message us by clicking here.
Note : We are in no way related to any Router company and all the brand name and trademarks belong to the respective owners.